Bariatric surgery is a weight loss surgery that involves altering the digestive system to help individuals lose weight. After bariatric surgery, patients need to follow a strict diet plan to promote proper healing and avoid complications. In this blog, we will discuss what to eat after bariatric surgery.
- Clear Liquids: The first few days after surgery, patients should only consume clear liquids such as water, broth, and sugar-free popsicles. This will help keep the body hydrated and promote healing.
- Full Liquids: After a few days, patients can slowly introduce full liquids such as protein shakes and soups. These liquids should be high in protein and low in fat.
- Pureed Foods: Once the doctor approves, patients can move on to pureed foods such as mashed potatoes, pureed vegetables, and pureed meats. These foods should be moist and easy to swallow.
- Soft Foods: After several weeks, patients can start eating soft foods such as fish, eggs, and tofu. These foods should be easy to chew and swallow.
- Solid Foods: Finally, after several weeks, patients can start eating solid foods. These foods should be high in protein, low in fat, and low in sugar. Examples include lean meats, vegetables, and fruits.
It is important to note that patients should avoid consuming sugary and fatty foods, carbonated drinks, and alcohol. These foods and drinks can cause discomfort, nausea, and vomiting.
In conclusion, the post-bariatric surgery diet is crucial for proper healing and long-term weight loss success. Patients should follow their doctor’s instructions and consume a diet that is high in protein, low in fat, and low in sugar. By following a strict diet plan, patients can achieve their weight loss goals and live a healthier life. For more information, consult the best bariatric surgeon in Indore.